Tuesday, September 5, 2017

If anyone is poor among your fellow Israelites in any of the towns of the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward them. Rather, be openhanded and freely lend them whatever they need.

Deuteronomy 15

If anyone is poor among your fellow Israelites in any of the towns of the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward them. Rather, be openhanded and freely lend them whatever they need. v7-8

Moses expands on the commandment for us to care for those in need:

There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your fellow Israelites who are poor and needy in your land. v11

Paul echoes this commandment:


Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9:7

Paul emphasizes how we should "freely" give - as our heart condition towards money and wealth is important:

They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor[.] Psalm 112:9

A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of. Luke 6:45

Our heart condition is softened and molded through a relationship with Jesus, and by meeting with Him daily (Romans 12:2).

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God - I love You.  You have watched over our family during a time of mourning and You have my mom and Your arms.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such blessings as I often hold onto my money and am tightfisted. I am also harsh with my words. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself strength and wisdom.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.