Thursday, September 14, 2017

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.

Joshua 1

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. v9

In the first nine verses of Joshua, the Lord tells Joshua to strong and courageous three times (v6,7,9), including verse 7 where Joshua is told to be "[b]e strong and very courageous".   

God wants Joshua to be strong and courageous because He will be with us wherever we go (v9).  We are also to be strong and courageous because there is temptation and sin in the world and we will face difficulties.

In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. John 16:33

God give us His Son, the Holy Spirit, His Word, faith, the church, brothers and sisters in Christ who pray and support us, etc.  With all of this we have the armor of God.

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Ephesians 6:10-17

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who protects us and keeps us strong during times of difficulty - You are our Rock.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such love and blessing.  My sin continues.  Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.