Monday, September 16, 2019

A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough.

Galatians 5

A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough. v9

Paul continues to warn the Galatians of false teaching and idols.  Just as Jesus uses parables, Paul uses the leavening power of yeast as an analogy to warn us of the negative influence of allowing even the slightest of false teaching and idols into our lives. The MacArthur Bible Study Commentary (for purchase) indicates scripture's use of this analogy elsewhere including Matthew 16:6, 12Mark 8:15, and 1 Corinthians 5:6.

While we are "in" this world we must remind ourselves that we are not to be "of" this world and not to "conform" to the patterns of this world (see also Romans 12:2). We must remain connected with those who strengthen our ties to Christ as the One and Only True God and Gospel.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and I am so grateful for the protection You provide through Your Word, the Holy Spirit, the church, and my brothers and sisters in Christ.  Thank You Jesus for helping me build a strong foundation - On You!  I am grateful.  Yet I am undeserving of the many blessings You pour out for me.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior. Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.