Tuesday, September 17, 2019

But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.

Galatians 5

But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. v13

Paul warns the Galatians to avoid using freedom in Christ as justification to continue in sin.  Yes, we are no longer slave to sin and we do have freedom from the sting of sin and death, but we should use this not as freedom to sin but to serve.

The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. Romans 8:6
 
We are warned once again by Paul in v26 to not be conceited as such arrogance leads to sin in spite of our freedom (sin of commission).
 
Sandwiched between of course in 5:22-23 are Paul's fruits of the Spirit verses: "[b]ut the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law". 
 
My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who has saved me from the sting of sin and death; You sustain me, encourage me, protect me, heal me, etc. and so much more - thank You Jesus for the many blessings You pour out for me.  I am not deserving - I am often full of conceit - please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind, and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.