Thursday, September 26, 2019

From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.

Ephesians 4

From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work. v16

As Paul pivots from discussing our identity in Christ, he encourages us to be both united and mature in our faith.  In chapter 4, he starts by encouraging us to "live a life worthy of the calling you have received" (v4).  He then writes how Christ gave us "the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people" for us to have unity and to become mature (v11-13).  The call for maturity is then echoed again in v14 (that we no longer be infants in our faith), v15 (we grow and mature), and v16 (how growth and maturity supports a healthy vibrant church). 

We find this call for growth and maturity elsewhere in scripture.

I am reminded of John Piper's statement that we should not "ever think that growing through the word of God is optional or marginal in the Christian life. Spiritual growth is absolutely necessary for every believer."

Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good. 1 Peter 2:2-3

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God - You have fed me every day of my life and helped me grow in my faith - I am deeply grateful for the work You have done in my heart and life.  I am not deserving of such love and blessings.  I am often harsh with my words and actions.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my faith towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.