Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Do not be yoked together with unbelievers.

2 Corinthians 6

Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. v14

In writing the church in Corinth (v1-10, 14-18) and to Corinthians in general (v11-13), Paul seeks to encourage believers and non-believers regarding his earnest desire to save everyone.  He pleads with Corinthians to be honest in their assessment of both him and their own sin. He then speaks directly with believers in Corinth and warns them not to be "joined, linked or united" with unbelievers (v14).

We can associate with unbelievers (as friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc.) - for how else can we reach them - yet we cannot be "yoked" with them in the sense that we build up a relationship with them to the point where we allow them to negatively impact our attitudes and behaviors regarding God and our relationship with Him.

See other posts on influence of others.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and You have provided many Godly influences in my life and blessed me with others that build me up and bring me closer to God.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  I am selfish and I have other sins...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.