Tuesday, September 10, 2019

And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. It is not surprising, then, if his servants also masquerade as servants of righteousness.

2 Corinthians 11

And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.  It is not surprising, then, if his servants also masquerade as servants of righteousness. v14-15

On the heels of Paul's reminder that we are fighting with God on our side and that the weapons we fight are not just different than those of the world but the same power that raised Jesus from the grave, we must remember WHO we are fighting and there IS a battle.  There is sin, temptation, idols, and false teachers - we must remember.

Paul reminds us how Satan works - he "masquerades as a servant of righteousness" and Piper writes that " [i]n his sovereignty, God considered it wise, as part of his curse on the world after the fall of Adam and Eve, to give Satan a huge power in this world."

For more, John Piper penned this article that provides background on the "Fall of Satan and the Victory of Christ".

Satan may be real but we have God on our side:

For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority. In him you were also circumcised with a circumcision not performed by human hands. Your whole self ruled by the flesh was put off when you were circumcised by Christ, having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through your faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead.

When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross. And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross. Colossians 2:9-15

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who - while You have allowed Satan to have some power - has dominion and authority over all and who defeats Satan and sin for all believers - thank You Jesus for giving me freedom over sin, eternal life - and abundant life!  I am grateful!  Yet I am undeserving I know.  My sin is great.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.