Wednesday, September 11, 2019

If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness.

2 Corinthians 11

If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness. v30

In 2 Corinthians 11:23-29 (and he continues in chapter 12), Paul writes of his sufferings on behalf of his ministry for Christ.  He does so because according to John Piper, "suffering is essential" for believers as this is the only "path to glorification [of God]" and if you are to minister to others. 

Paul crystallizes the essential nature of suffering:

Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:7-10

Our weakness bring us to God, on whom we depend for all things, and it is through our dependence on God where we draw strength - strength that is divine.

See also this post "Five Truths About Christian Suffering".

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is with me - every day and every moment - thank You Jesus for being with me during both the good times and especially during those times when I am weak.  I am not deserving of such love.  My sin weighs heavily and it is great - please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.