Wednesday, October 23, 2019

We know that the law is good if one uses it properly.

1 Timothy 1

We know that the law is good if one uses it properly. v8

Paul starts out writing Timothy about the need to prevent the spread of false teaching.  Doctrinal truth is critical and we should avoid false teachers and teachings for many reasons - which of course starts with a desire to SEEK truth (or a "hunger and thirst for righteousness" - see also Matthew 5:6).  We can practically gain a better understanding of truth through both our own study as well as study with and through others as "iron sharpens iron" (Proverbs 27:17).  

John Piper provides great insights into how the search for truth and fellowship/unity are both important - see this post.  Unity can only be gained through truth.  Piper calls this "purity for the sake of unity".

On the other hand, which is also what Piper indicates, false teaching creates division.

If we have truth in our heart, we should expect to see fruits of the spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) - I believe it is useful to ask those around us if fruit is present in our lives.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, I am grateful for the fruit You have produced in my life.  I know You are not done but I DO know that fruit is present - thank You Jesus!  Thank You for giving me a desire for You, faith, and truth.  Yet I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin continues - daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.