Friday, October 25, 2019

Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through prophecy when the body of elders laid their hands on you.

1 Timothy 4

Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through prophecy when the body of elders laid their hands on you. v14

Timothy is known to have a gift of teaching and sharing the Word of God.  He has a passion for it.  Paul writes in 2 Timothy 1 to "fan into flame the gift of God".  What's important here is that we ALL have the gift of God, yet makes each of us unique is HOW God gives us different skills and how He wants us to use this gift of God.

Paul writes about the distribution of gifts in both Romans 12:4-8 and 1 Corinthians 12.

See also this post from August this year.

We should make every effort to determine and discern our gifts - ALL of us are valuable and indispensable.

The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor.  1 Corinthians 12:21-23

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God who loves and who has helped me better understand what roles I can play in the world and in the church - thank You Jesus for this as well as for putting others in my life who have blessed me with THEIR gifts.  I am grateful for how You have knit us together so that we can support and encourage one another.  Yet I am undeserving of such blessings and love - I know I sin and daily.  Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart soul and mind.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.