Monday, May 30, 2022

A voice cries: "In the wilderness prepare the way of the Lord; make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Every valley shall be lifted up, and every mountain and hill be made low; the uneven ground shall become level, and the rough places a plain. And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together, for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.”

Isaiah 40-41

A voice cries: "In the wilderness prepare the way of the Lord; make straight in the desert a highway for  our God. Every valley shall be lifted up, and every mountain and hill be made low; the uneven ground shall become level, and the rough places a plain. And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together, for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.” Isaiah 40:3-5

I continue my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series. Today, I move on Lesson 15, Day 3a, which looks specifically at Isaiah 40:1-11 - with verses 3 through 5 being some of the most referred to verses from the New Testament. All of the gospels refer to these verses, including Matthew 3, Mark 1, Luke 3, and John 1.  It is clear Jesus wants those hearing the Word of God to prepare for Jesus - to look for Jesus, so that when He arrives You will know His voice and be inclined to hear and receive His Word. This post on DesiringGod.com encourages us to clear away earthly and worldly distractions to prepare:

"The logic of Isaiah’s prophecy can be summed up like this: “First some preparing, some rearranging, even some upheaval, and then the glory of the Lord will be revealed.” This world is not ready for the glory of the Lord. Too many of our churches are not ready for his glory.

The barriers against the historic display of his glory are firmly established in the trendy distractions of the world and in the dull routines of our churches. The only one fully ready for the display of Christ’s glory is Christ himself. [J.I.] Packer understood that. He understood that, for our churches to become filled with the felt presence and power of the risen Lord Jesus Christ, “everything superstitious, misleading, and Spirit-quenching must be rooted out.[quoting Packer]”

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who has given me a heart of flesh, replacing my heart of stone - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a blessing.  My sin continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.