Monday, May 23, 2022

It may be that the Lord your God will hear the words of the Rabshakeh, whom his master the king of Assyria has sent to mock the living God, and will rebuke the words that the Lord your God has heard; therefore lift up your prayer for the remnant that is left.’”

 Isaiah 36-39

It may be that the Lord your God will hear the words of the Rabshakeh, whom his master the king of Assyria has sent to mock the living God, and will rebuke the words that the Lord your God has heard; therefore lift up your prayer for the remnant that is left.’” Isaiah 37:4

I continue my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series. Today, I start Lesson 14, looking at Day 1, which focuses on an overview of Isaiah 36-39.  OverviewBible.com describes these chapters as "Isaiah’s ministry to Hezekiah." In Isaiah 36, we see King Sennacherib of Assyria mocking God and Judah, and Sennacherib invades Judah.  In Isaiah 37, left with no choice, Hezekiah goes to Isaiah and to God for help after several attempts at self-salvation. In Isaiah 37:4, Hezekiah sends a message to Isaiah, seeking prayer and for God to intercede on behalf of Judah.  Hezekiah is appropriate with his cautious (use of the word "may") approach to God, knowing that he has previously not gone to God and God may not be inclined to help such a stiff-necked people.  God DOES want us to cry out to Him with our cares and concerns, but at the same time, He does not want a "fair-weathered" approach in the sense that we ONLY go to God when we need something.  We should acknowledge God in all times - good and bad - and that everything good we experience is from Him and without Him we would cease to exist.  Instead of going to God periodically, we should go to God "without ceasing" - see John Piper on 1 Thessalonians 5:12-18. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me and who provides for all of my needs - every day.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.