Saturday, May 28, 2022

“Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool. If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land; but if you refuse and rebel, you shall be eaten by the sword; for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.”

Isaiah 40-41

“Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool. If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land; but if you refuse and rebel, you shall be eaten by the sword; for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.” Isaiah 1:18-20

I continue my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series. Today, I complete  Lesson 15, looking at Day 1, which looks at Isaiah 40-41.  To prepare me for these chapters, my study has me reading Isaiah 1 for review and context, particularly as Isaiah chapters 40-66 mark a more forward looking view for Judah (messianic prophecies, etc.) vs judgement of Judah's sin (chapters 1-39). Isaiah 1 paints a very bleak picture of Judah, during the days of King Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah.  Words used by Isaiah to describe Judah include sinful, corrupt, and estranged from the Lord (v4), sick head and heart (v5), inhabiting a land that is desolate, overthrown and besieged (due to punishment from God) (v7-8), full of empty worship rituals and prayers (v10-15), failing to deliver justice and to assist those in need (v17), etc. - a very bleak picture indeed.  Yet contemporary believers cannot escape such sin - just read about recent sin within the Southern Baptist Convention.  As bleak as our sin is - and we all sin - we have a glorious savior who saves and redeems - Jesus Christ!  We need to repent!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer:  Heavenly Father - You are a glorious God indeed!  Worthy of my worship and living sacrifice!  I am not deserving of how You save and bless me.  My sin is great...and daily.  Please forgive me as I chase comfort vs worship and service.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, an apply Your message for me today and every day.