Wednesday, May 18, 2022

But there the Lord in majesty will be for us a place of broad rivers and streams, where no galley with oars can go, nor majestic ship can pass. For the Lord is our judge; the Lord is our lawgiver; the Lord is our king; he will save us.

Isaiah 33-36:10

But there the Lord in majesty will be for us a place of broad rivers and streams, where no galley with oars can go, nor majestic ship can pass. For the Lord is our judge; the Lord is our lawgiver; the Lord is our king; he will save us. Isaiah 33:21-22 

I continue my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series. Today, I resume Lesson 13, moving to Day 2, which focuses on Isaiah 33.  My commentary describes three main divisions for this chapter, including:

  1. You will see the destruction of the treacherous (v1-6): God addresses Assyria (or any other warring power against God's people) issuing them a warning that they will be destroyed.  Judah had sent peace envoys and tributes to Assyria (see 2 Kings 16-18) and yet Assyria still sacked Judah - betraying a peace agreement. 
  2. You will see the King arise in power (v7-16): Here God is angry at not just Assyria, but also sinners in Judah such as those who relied on self-salvation vs God.  God's anger is directed near and far - v13 - who are warned to acknowledge God's might and how it stretches over the entire universe. Sinners in Zion are called out specifically - v14. God's power and His reign must be acknowledged v14-16
  3. You will see the beauty of the King and His kingdom (v17-24): pointing to a coming Messiah, Isaiah delivers a message of comfort for the faithful; at the same time, the unrepentant and insolent (v18-19) will see the King but will be damned for eternity. 

This morning, I hang on the promise of how God will be a place of "broad rivers and streams," and how He "is our judge...lawgiver, king, [and how] he will save us."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God and Your promises are where I gain my peace and security - thank You for my salvation and for the comfort and confidence it provides.  I am not deserving of such a gift.  I often fail to go to You first - please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.