Thursday, May 26, 2022

Behold, it was for my welfare that I had great bitterness; but in love you have delivered my life from the pit of destruction, for you have cast all my sins behind your back.

 Isaiah 36-39

Behold, it was for my welfare that I had great bitterness; but in love you have delivered my life from the pit of destruction, for you have cast all my sins behind your back. Isaiah 38:17

I continue my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series. Today, I continue with Lesson 14, looking at Day 4, which looks specifically at Isaiah 38. Here, we see Hezekiah sick and dying, with Isaiah delivering a message from the Lord to him that he should prepare for death. Hezekiah prays to God and God answers his prayer and gives him fifteen more years. In response, Hezekiah pens a poem as he reflects on his journey with God (v9-20).  Broadly, my commentary indicates the main idea from this chapter to be that "God heals Hezekiah from illness and teaches him humility and obedience by what he suffered." My Precept Upon Precept study indicates that a more complete view of this chapter should be viewed with 2 Kings 20:1-11 and 2 Chronicles 32:24-26.  It is in 2 Chronicles 32 where we glean more detail about Hezekiah and his pride.  With all that God does for him Hezekiah remains proud and in response Hezekiah did humble himself, but not without consequences - "the wrath of the Lord did not come upon [Jerusalem] in the days of Hezekiah." My commentary notes we should apply the word as follows:

  1. the forgiveness of our sins is our top priority, not the temporary healing of the body this side of death.
  2. live every day aware of our mortality, and we should flee to Christ for salvation and power to make the most of the limited time we have.
  3. embrace affliction...as working vast spiritual benefits in us: it humbles us and causes us to walk softly in God’s laws.
  4. use our own experiences in suffering to make us genuinely compassionate to others who are suffering.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord, You are indeed great - You are full of grace and compassion, even during trials we can see Your love for us.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of Your love and compassion.  My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me turn from and overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.