Friday, May 6, 2022

And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death....[the beast] was allowed to make war on the saints and to conquer them. And authority was given it over every tribe and people and language and nation[.]...And I saw what appeared to be a sea of glass mingled with fire—and also those who had conquered the beast and its image and the number of its name, standing beside the sea of glass with harps of God in their hands.

Revelation 22

And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death....[the beast] was allowed to make war on the saints and to conquer them. And authority was given it over every tribe and people and language and nation[.]...And I saw what appeared to be a sea of glass mingled with fire—and also those who had conquered the beast and its image and the number of its name, standing beside the sea of glass with harps of God in their hands. Revelation 12:11, 13:7, 15:2 

This week marks (meeting Monday nights) the final week of my D-Group's study of Revelation - using Stephen Witmer's commentary and study guide. For this week's study, we are collapsing the Epilogue (week 11) and the Summary/Conclusion (week 12) into a single week. From the commentary included in the study guide the most convicting message today is that "[Revelation] paints a sober, realistic picture of what life will be like for Christ’s church in this world; there will be enticing temptations and violent persecutions, and the church will often look insignificant and weak.*"  It goes on to say that "it is possible for Christians to live victoriously. It’s just that victory will not always look like victory. Like Christ’s triumph at the cross, it will often be an ironic victory; a victory that looks like defeat."

I am reminded that we should not look to the world for how things ought to be - this is dangerous indeed.  God's ways may be mysterious and we may not understand them, but He is perfect as are His ways.  Our trials and challenges may not seem like God is working in our lives or in the world, but God never stops working for He is in all things.  Our Savior came on a donkey and willingly died on the cross for His children - and this provided all the victory we will ever need!

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. Isaiah 55:8

For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. Colossians 1:16-17

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God - I often don't understand my circumstances but I KNOW that You are always at work, You love me, that You will never leave or forsake me, that You saved me, and that You are saving a place in Heaven for me - ALL amazing blessings and I KNOW there are more!  Thank You Jesus.  I am not deserving of any of these blessings. My sin continues and it is daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.

*Witmer, Stephen. Revelation (Knowing the Bible) (p. 73). Crossway. Kindle Edition.