Thursday, June 30, 2022

My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments, for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you.

Proverbs 1:8-7

My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments, for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you. Proverbs 3:1-2

As part of my D-Group's study of Proverbs using the Knowing the Bible study series for this book, I continue with an examination of Proverbs, moving to week 3, which focuses on Proverbs 1:8-7.  The first four questions ask, in the context of:

  • 1:8-19: what might loss of life include?
  • 2:6-8, 9-22: what aspects of God's character discovered, how does wisdom benefit those who find it?
  • 3:1-12: are the described rewards always experienced in tangible ways?  How best should we understand them?
  • 3:21-35 (with James 4:6, 1 Peter 5:5-6, Psalm 138:6): what do these passages reveal about the folly of pride

While all of these questions are of value to explore, the third question today is what strikes a chord.  A key statement made in the opening chapter of the study states that Proverbs, while they are "observations of how God has designed the world to work[,] they should not be taken as promises."  This said, as I try and reconcile this statement with 2 Timothy 3:16, which states about scripture: "all Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness[.]"  As I answer the third question, I move to closer to reconciling how Proverbs should not be taken as promises per se, perhaps not tangibly, but instead as spiritual rewards and blessings.  Clarity of purpose (straight paths), emotional and spiritual healing, and spiritual/emotional wealth (eternal rewards), are all examples of how we experience tangible rewards of seeking God's wisdom (and seeking His love and glory).  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and You do bless by making paths straight, by spiritual/emotional healing, and by providing spiritual/emotional wealth - I have experienced all of these blessings - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of these blessings.  My sin is great and it continues - today I did not come to You first but instead sought earthly comfort over You - sinful!  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.