Sunday, June 12, 2022

Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

1 Peter 5

Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8

As part of my D-Groups Proverbs study, we are reading C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters.  Christianbook.com describes the novel's summary through the lens of the two key characters: Wormwood and Screwtape. "Wormwood, a demon apprentice, must secure the damnation of a young man who's just become a Christian. He seeks the advice of an experienced devil, his uncle Screwtape."  The novel chronicles a series of letters from Screwtape to Wormwood.  In the Preface, Lewis writes that are "two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils.  One is to disbelieve in their existence.  The other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them."  Peter, in 1 Peter 5:8, warns believers of the power of Satan and how he is seeking souls to devour. My own studies over the years here in this blog include posts on how to avoid the second mistake, of becoming a "friend of the world."  This particular post stands out this morning.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and You arm me and protect me from Satan - thank You Jesus for arming me and for your protection.  I am not deserving of such protection - my sins are great and they continue daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.