Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Who stirred up one from the east whom victory meets at every step? He gives up nations before him, so that he tramples kings underfoot; he makes them like dust with his sword, like driven stubble with his bow....I stirred up one from the north, and he has come, from the rising of the sun, and he shall call upon my name; he shall trample on rulers as on mortar, as the potter treads clay.

Isaiah 44-46

Who stirred up one from the east whom victory meets at every step? He gives up nations before him, so that he tramples kings underfoot; he makes them like dust with his sword, like driven stubble with his  bow....I stirred up one from the north, and he has come, from the rising of the sun, and he shall call upon my name; he shall trample on rulers as on mortar, as the potter treads clay. Isaiah 41:2, 25

I resumed my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series. Today, I continue with Lesson 17, which examines Isaiah chapters 44-46.  My focus for today is Day 2(b), which completes a review of Isaiah 44:24-45 and how God raised up Cyrus to conquer Babylon, free Judah from exile and encourage and support Judah to rebuild Jerusalem and the temple.  The study looks closely at how Cyrus is the subject of prophecy from Isaiah 41:2 and 25 that God raised up from the east and north.  Clearly, Persia is from the East and several commentaries indicate that Mede is likely to be the land from the north referenced from Isaiah 41:25. These sources indicate that while Cyrus' father was Persian, his mother was Median.  Additionally such sources indicate that Cyrus was "directed" by an uncle from Media, Darius from Mede joined Cyrus on the attack of Babylonia, and how Cyrus attacked Babylonia from the north (from Mede). The key takeaway is how God is in control of all the details - big and small - of our lives and how He uses the circumstances of our lives to direct His will.  God raised up Cyrus, and He also created us, sustains us, and moves in our lives for His purpose.

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

Comment and and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Heavenly Father, Jesus, You are an awesome God and I KNOW You are moving in my heart and life - thank You Jesus.  I am not deserving of the blessings and compassion You pour out for me.  My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  sHelp me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.