Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Remember this and stand firm, recall it to mind, you transgressors, remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me[.]

Isaiah 44-46

Remember this and stand firm, recall it to mind, you transgressors, remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me[.] Isaiah 46:8-9

I resumed my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series - today moving on to Lesson 17 day 4 and 5 where I reflect on Isaiah 46 after a read of my commentary's perspective on this chapter.  My commentary offers the following divisions for this chapter:

  1. The gods of Babylon are a crushing burden, crushed in the end (46:1-2)
  2. The incomparable God carries His people from birth to old age (46:3-5)
  3. The idols cannot move, neither can they save (46:6-7)
  4. Remember the God who plans and orchestrates history (46:8-10)
  5. God's plan is to bring salvation near to those far away (46:11-13)

The two key applications recommended by my commentary include:

  1. We should not "glibly" assume we have no idols; we should ask God to search our heart and expose them; "anything we put ultimate value on other than Christ is a "functional savior" and an idol
  2.  Delight in a God who carries you

The core method God uses to show us the futility of idol worship is a comparison of idols to the One True God and of course NONE compare!  My commentary states very aptly: "[t]hough we may not go to a goldsmith with a bag of gold and ask him to melt it into a golden statue that we worship, our covetousness and materialism are every bit as idolatrous as that....idols are burdens that we carry around, burdens that will crush us someday if we do not cast them off. God has systematically exposed and destroyed all his rivals in every generation."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who is like no other - You are the One True God that carries burdens and saves - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You carry burdens and save.  My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.