Wednesday, June 1, 2022

When the poor and needy seek water, and there is none, and their tongue is parched with thirst, I the Lord will answer them; I the God of Israel will not forsake them.

When the poor and needy seek water, and there is none, and their tongue is parched with thirst, I the Lord will answer them; I the God of Israel will not forsake them. Isaiah 40:29-31

I continue my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series. Today, I move on to Lesson 15, Day 4, which looks at Isaiah 41. Here, my commentary outlines the following divisions:

  1. The Lord stirs up a conqueror to do his bidding (v1-7)
  2. The Lord defeats Israel's enemies (v8-16)
  3. The Lord transforms nature and refreshes His people (v17-20)
  4. The Lord alone determines and declares the future (v21-29)

Core to this chapter is how Isaiah prophecies how God uses Cyrus from Persia (referred to in v2 as the one from the east) to conquer Babylon - consequently releasing Judah from exile to rebuild the destroyed temple in Jerusalem (536 BC).  This chapter also challenges those who rely on idols and false Gods to equal the One True God - it is God alone that is able to control every aspect of the universe, including both the large and small details in the lives of its inhabitants. Front and center in this chapter is also how God alone protects His elect and how He refreshes and provides.  

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God who loves me, who protects, refreshes, and provides - and so much more - Your blessings are innumerable and indescribable!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it is daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.