Wednesday, June 26, 2024

At this their hearts failed them, and they turned trembling to one another, saying, “What is this that God has done to us?”

Genesis 42-44

At this their hearts failed them, and they turned trembling to one another, saying, “What is this that God has done to us?” Genesis 42:28

I maintain a pause on my study of Ecclesiastes to focus on Joseph, in particular Genesis 42-44, and I lean on the Christ-Centered Exposition Series volume for this book. Based on the commentary's breakdown of the divisions and subdivisions of this text (see post from Monday, 24JUN), I move on to the third subdivision of of the first division, which explores Genesis 42:27-38.  In the text for today, we see Joseph's brothers (less Simeon who remains detained in Egypt and Benjamin who remains at home with his father Jacob) on their journey home to Canaan, and they pause for lodging on their way - v27.  When one of the brothers goes to feed his donkey - v27 - he finds that the money given to Joseph in exchange for grain has been returned, he and his brothers are fearful exclaiming - v28 - '[w]hat is this that God has done to us?' In vv29-35, upon return home, they recount to Jacob what has happened to them and that Benjamin must go to Egypt as proof that they are not spies.  Jacob is distraught as he now experiences the loss of not just Joseph, but also Simeon.  He refuses to let the brothers take Benjamin to Egypt - see vv36-38.  The commentary emphasizes how the brothers see God's hand in their circumstances - v28:  "[t]his is the first time they have acknowledged him with regard to their situation. Until this moment, they have looked at their challenges from a human perspective. But now they consider this one from God’s perspective. They consider whether his hand, his providence, might be at work behind things. This is a critical step for God’s people when they face adversity. Indeed, when presented with difficulty or hardship, we should consider whether God might be at work behind the situations we encounter (Romans 5:2-5). The brothers attempt to do this now." Chapter 42 ends with the family at a critical juncture as they are faced with a dire situation and a difficult decision.  Believers must see how God is at work in this text as He always has been and always will be as He is both the Alpha and the Omega.  It is during these times when faith in God is imperative as we lean into Him that He loves us and is always working for good in our lives. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me, who is full of amazing grace and is always working for good in my life.  Thank You Jesus for Your mercies that are new every morning and never cease.  I am not deserving of my salvation nor any of the blessings You pour out for me. My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.