Monday, June 17, 2024

For what happens to the children of man and what happens to the beasts is the same; as one dies, so dies the other. They all have the same breath, and man has no advantage over the beasts, for all is vanity.

Ecclesiastes 3

For what happens to the children of man and what happens to the beasts is the same; as one dies, so dies the other. They all have the same breath, and man has no advantage over the beasts, for all is vanity. Ecclesiastes 3:19

I continue my study today of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my focus is a commentary-assisted review of Ecclesiastes 3:18-22, which is the second division of the commentary chapter titled Politics and Justice Are Meaningless without Jesus (covering Ecclesiastes 3:16-4:3, and 5:8-9). The commentary describes how Solomon reflects on how we - collectively as humanity - treat one another as beasts:  "[E]ven though we have moral sensibilities, we treat one another like animals. We deal with one another in the most disgusting ways imaginable. From Hitler to Stalin to Polpot and the Khmer Rouge killing fields, we see barbaric acts that humans commit against other humans. My first mission trip was to Cambodia where the Khmer Rouge wiped out so much of the population. As we walked over the killing fields with the missionaries, they showed us trees where babies were bashed to death. The barbarism was sickening. That is Solomon’s point. Wickedness increases, and like the days of the flood where both animals and humans died, judgment is needed!" The commentary then highlights how God created man in Genesis 1 to have dominion over the beasts, yet we became like the beasts in how we treat one another. The commentary goes further sharing how beasts are described throughout scripture, including how "evil nations...attack Israel (see Psalm 80:13, Daniel 7:3)," and how "the antichrist and the false prophet  are called beasts (see also Revelation 13)." As the commentary winds down for this division, it explores vv19-21 more closely by sharing that while we have certainty of our own death, we have less certainty what happens after death: "[s]ince we do not know what happens beyond this life, we have to rely on the eternal God who put eternity in our hearts. We are told to enjoy His gifts while we can. Ecclesiastes 3 ends with another carpe diem passage that tells us to live life to the fullest. Ecclesiastes does not deny the afterlife, but it does commend us to take death seriously. Just as the psalmist tells us to number our days (Psalm 90:10-12), Ecclesiastes says that life is short and we need to make the most of it (Garrett, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, 305)." Making the most of our lives must include loving God and loving others as He intends - the two most important commandments!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion - giving me hope in this life and hope that You are saving me a place in Heaven - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You love me, bless me, save me, and seal me so that no one can take from You.  Thank You - but again I am not deserving...not at all.  Please forgive me for my sin that is great and daily.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.