Saturday, June 15, 2024

I said in my heart, God will judge the righteous and the wicked, for there is a time for every matter and for every work.

Ecclesiastes 3

I said in my heart, God will judge the righteous and the wicked, for there is a time for every matter and for every work. Ecclesiastes 3:17

I continue my study today of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my focus is a commentary-assisted review of Ecclesiastes 3:16-17, which is the first division of the commentary chapter titled Politics and Justice Are Meaningless without Jesus (covering Ecclesiastes 3:16-4:3, and 5:8-9).  The commentary first posits that in our fallen world, all paths to promote justice, whether it be through the government and the political process, or through social change/justice that might leverage non-governmental organizations (NGOs) or non-profits/charities, ultimately fall short of perfect (most far short) justice because we are all sinful and imperfect. Humanity's collective sin and imperfect motives and actions mar our efforts.  V17 offers encouragement for those seeking perfect justice as God alone is judge and He will judge everyone according to their deeds - every knee will bow and tongue will confess Jesus as Lord and Savior (see also Philippians 2:9-11). The commentary shares: "God has a carefully timed plan, but we cannot know when it will be executed. Even Jesus, when He laid aside His glory in the incarnation, admitted that the Son of Man did not know the time and hour (Matthew 24:36). Of course, He knows now in His exalted and glorified state! But even though he does not know the timing, Solomon trusts that God will set things right and that injustice will finally be reversed. The wicked will not ultimately get away with it (Greidanus, Preaching Christ, 99)." Seek God as a means to gain peace knowing that God has a plan (and it's perfect) for justice in this world, on judgement day, and in the world to come (Heaven).  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - giving me peace knowing that Your justice is perfect.  Thank You Jesus for this peace and for how it is a peace that surpasses all understanding as it is a blessing well beyond justice. I am not deserving for this peace or any other blessing or gift that comes from above - including my salvation.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.