Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Then I considered all that my hands had done and the toil I had expended in doing it, and behold, all was vanity and a striving after wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun.

Ecclesiastes 2

Then I considered all that my hands had done and the toil I had expended in doing it, and behold, all was vanity and a striving after wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun. Ecclesiastes 2:11

I continue my study today of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my focus is a commentary-assisted review of Ecclesiastes 2:1-11, which is the first division of Ecclesiastes 2 per the commentary.  The commentary describes this division with the title: Pleasure Is Meaningless.  It continues by sharing how Solomon in chapter 1 finds no meaning in his life (apart from God - see also Ecclesiastes 12) but then says to himself that he should "lighten up" and pursue pleasure perhaps as a way to distract himself from an empty existence to leads to pain and disappointment. Right way in 2:1 Solomon points out how pleasure as vanity - he then goes into details about what he pursued (see also post yesterday).  As the commentary for this text winds down it shares: "Solomon concludes his search for pleasure by saying he denied himself nothing (2:10)....It led to nothing but brokenness. Incidentally, much of what he detailed is a violation of the kingly laws in Deuteronomy 17 and ultimately cost Solomon’s son the kingdom....Solomon lovingly warns us that indulging in whatever feels good is dangerous. You may get all you ever wanted, but you will not want it when you get it. It will not satisfy. God loves you, and He knows indulging under the sun leads to brokenness. Pleasure is not bad, but because of the fall, it cannot be our final guide. It cannot be ultimate. Pleasure is a good thing that if turned into a god thing becomes an enslaving thing."  Turn to God - the Living Water that truly satisfies!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You truly satisfy!  You are the Living Water whose mercies are new every morning and that never cease - thank You Jesus for these blessings and of course for my salvation - I am not deserving of such blessings...my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.