Monday, June 10, 2024

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven[.]

Ecclesiastes 3

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven[.] Ecclesiastes 3:1

I continue my study today of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my focus is an unassisted review of Ecclesiastes 3:1-9, which is the first division of Ecclesiastes 3 per the commentary.  So far in Ecclesiastes, Solomon shares how life is meaningless and futile without God, including pursuits such as wisdom/knowledge, work, wealth, and consumerism.  In Ecclesiastes 3, Solomon describes how time is meaningless and futile, how God is sovereign over "everything" (v1), and that "there is a season for everything."  The text this morning calls to mind Colossians 1:15-20, and John Piper's book Providence.  As John Piper puts it, humanity does not have "ultimate or decisive" self-determination.  This means that only God puts it in our heart to repent and believe in Him, or not of course.  At the same time, Piper also shares that even though we do not have this ultimate or decisive self-determination, we do have a free will and this freedom is described as the choices and behaviors (apart from election as only God does this) that comprise our days.  Let us not fall prey to the futility of time and chase things that provide only temporary pleasure (see also Ecclesiastes 2) - instead believers should recognize that we should focus on things eternal (see also 2 Corinthians 4:16-18).

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me.  Thank You Jesus!  Thank You for my salvation.  I am not deserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and energy.  Please continues to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior. Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.