Friday, June 7, 2024

For of the wise as of the fool there is no enduring remembrance, seeing that in the days to come all will have been long forgotten. How the wise dies just like the fool!

Ecclesiastes 2

For of the wise as of the fool there is no enduring remembrance, seeing that in the days to come all will have been long forgotten. How the wise dies just like the fool! Ecclesiastes 2:16

I continue my study today of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my focus is a commentary-assisted review of Ecclesiastes 2:12-17, which is the second division of Ecclesiastes 2 per the commentary.  While there is some speculation to whom Solomon is addressing when he refers to his son in this text, a strong candidate is Rehoboam (see also starting 1 Kings 11, and 2 Chronicles 9). The commentary first describes how Solomon seeks to help his son avoid the mistakes and sin he made over the course of his life.  It then describes vv13-14 and the value of wisdom: "[w]isdom helps you navigate this world without stumbling because it allows you to see clearly the pitfalls, and it allows you to discern the right decision in each situation."  The commentary then shares how although wisdom has value, again apart from God there is no lasting value: "wisdom is better than foolishness, but the value is only relative, and it does not last. Why? Wisdom’s gain over folly is fleeting because both the wise and the fool share the same fate. Death is the great equalizer. That is Solomon’s point. What is the use in exerting all of this energy to be wise if this world is all there is and we all end up as worm food in the end? Why deny myself the seeming fun of the foolish life and work hard to be wise when we all end up the same? Death makes meaningless even trying to live the right kind of life in this world."  Additionally, much of humanity toils for value by striving for a "righteous" or "good" life but again Solomon shares how in the end in our fallen world it is futile - bad things happen to "righteous" and "good" people and vice-versa for less than righteous and good people.  We seek justice and judgement but Solomon once again points out how this, apart from God, is futile.   

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - freely giving me salvation and blessing me every day (without ceasing) new mercies.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.