Wednesday, June 19, 2024

If you see in a province the oppression of the poor and the violation of justice and righteousness, do not be amazed at the matter, for the high official is watched by a higher, and there are yet higher ones over them.

Ecclesiastes 4:1-3, 13-16, and 5:8-9

If you see in a province the oppression of the poor and the violation of justice and righteousness, do not be amazed at the matter, for the high official is watched by a higher, and there are yet higher ones over them. Ecclesiastes 5:8

I continue my study today of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my focus is an commentary assisted review of Ecclesiastes 4:1-3, 13-16, and 5:8-9, which covers the third division of the commentary chapter titled Politics and Justice Are Meaningless without Jesus - the third division specifically is referred to in the commentary as Politics is Meaningless.  Here, the commentary reinforces my post from yesterday, and provides insights by sharing: "politics in this fallen world is meaningless....You cannot end oppression altogether....Certainly we should work for justice. We should engage in mercy ministry. This is near God’s heart and talked about repeatedly throughout the Bible, especially in the wisdom literature. But without Christ, it will not be completely changed....There is no lasting change in the political realm....Cronyism is the inevitable result of politics. If you scratch my back, I will scratch yours....There is injustice in the world, so people are given authority to restrain evil and uphold good. The problem is that power corrupts, so those in authority often use their power for their own good and not the good of the citizens. As a result, we now completely distrust and reject authority. The way Christian people talk about the president and politicians on Facebook is absolutely sickening. The Bible commands us to pray for our leaders—believe me, you do not want to be in their position making the calls they have to make—but instead we tear them down. There is a definite tension here because absolute power corrupts, but we need authority for our own good."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who cares about us and gives us earthly authority that does much good for us - thank You Jesus! I am undeserving of such love and care...and certainly undeserving of my salvation.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.