Thursday, June 6, 2024

For of the wise as of the fool there is no enduring remembrance, seeing that in the days to come all will have been long forgotten. How the wise dies just like the fool!

Ecclesiastes 2

For of the wise as of the fool there is no enduring remembrance, seeing that in the days to come all will have been long forgotten. How the wise dies just like the fool! Ecclesiastes 2:16

I continue my study today of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my focus is an unassisted review of Ecclesiastes 2:12-17, which is the second division of Ecclesiastes 2 per the commentary. In this text, Solomon describes his pursuit of wisdom, which, just like his pursuit of pleasure in vv1-11, ends in a feeling of vanity and futility. I have fallen prey to both the pursuits of pleasure and wisdom, and while both are not sinful in and of themselves, the pursuit of both apart from God become an idol, which of course is sinful.  I am drawn this morning to another of Solomon's writings from the Bible - of course as is true of anything in the Bible being divinely inspired - Proverbs 1:7:

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.

From the very beginning - humanity was made by God and in His image (see Genesis 1). Isaiah writes to comfort the southern kingdom of Judah as he shares a prophecy of its fall and captivity.  Isaiah wants to remind the inhabitants of Judah that they - as does all of humanity - exist to glorify God:

Your people shall all be righteous; they shall possess the land forever, the branch of my planting, the work of my hands, that I might be glorified. Isaiah 60:21

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what an awesome God You are that love and save Your elect while still hostile to You and only out of Your amazing grace - not because any one of us is deserving in the least bit.  Thank You Jesus for making me one of Your elect - I know I am not deserving.  Thank You for Your grace.  But again I am not deserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.