Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Then I considered all that my hands had done and the toil I had expended in doing it, and behold, all was vanity and a striving after wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun.

Ecclesiastes 2

Then I considered all that my hands had done and the toil I had expended in doing it, and behold, all was vanity and a striving after wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun. Ecclesiastes 2:11

I continue my study today of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my focus is an unassisted review of Ecclesiastes 2:1-11, which is the first division of Ecclesiastes 2 per the commentary.  Building on my posts to date on Ecclesiastes, where the key theme has been how apart from God we have no fulfillment, meaning or purpose, and in the end, most importantly, we are eternally damned without God.  Ecclesiastes 2:1-11 is an incredible set of verses authored (of course divinely-inspired) by someone who had access to every conceivable pleasure and did not deny himself any of these pleasures. Solomon writes how he found such pursuits vanity (v1) - including laughter (v2), houses (v4), wine (v3-4), gardens/parks (v5), pools (v6), slaves (v7), herds and flocks (v7), silver and gold (v8), singers (v8), and concubines (v8).  Solomon also shares how he retained wisdom and "became great and surpassed all who were before [him] in Jerusalem" (v9) - he had it all (v10). Yet this did not produce the fulfillment he thought it would produce.  On the other hand, for those of us who believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior we have a joy and peace that some may never know nor understand.  Please seek God!  God please use me to bring others to You!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of love and compassion for me - making me one of Your children and one of Your elect - seeing me as perfect in Your eyes, justifying me such that I am not condemned but saved for eternity.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such incredible blessings...my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from such sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.