Friday, June 14, 2024

I said in my heart, God will judge the righteous and the wicked, for there is a time for every matter and for every work.

Ecclesiastes 3

I said in my heart, God will judge the righteous and the wicked, for there is a time for every matter and for every work. Ecclesiastes 3:17

I continue my study today of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my focus is an unassisted review of Ecclesiastes 3:16-17, which is the first division of the commentary chapter titled Politics and Justice Are Meaningless without Jesus (covering Ecclesiastes 3:16-4:3, and 5:8-9). In v16, Solomon shares a frustration over how pervasive wickedness is in the world around us - believers and non-believers alike share a desire for justice but often you cannot see justice....this is the root cause for the frustration many will feel.  Yet believers should know that God alone is the Judge and everyone (either upon death or upon Jesus' second coming) will be held accountable for their deeds, and if not saved, will be subject to eternal damnation.  Indeed, that we live in a fallen world rife with sin and wickedness should drive us into the arms of Jesus who helps us see how ever knee will ultimately bow (see John Piper post here).  Believers gain peace knowing that God's justice is perfect - bow to Jesus now and feel the peace that surpasses all understanding!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion with me, and You give me peace knowing that Your justice is perfect because You are perfect.  Thank You Jesus for this peace and for the many blessings You pour out for me...every day.  I am not deserving of these blessings, nor my salvation.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.