Thursday, August 23, 2012

Stern discipline awaits anyone who leaves the path.

Proverbs 15


Fear of the Lord is not just requested from us but it is commanded...as in the Ten Commandments in Exodus 20.  The dictionary definition of command is to (a) to direct authoritatively or, (2) to exercise a dominating influence over.  The implication is that our lack submission has implications....bad ones.  We of course need to keep in mind that the flip side is that the God who gives us these commandments is a great God, one who loves us without bounds.  In Exodus 20 God gave the Israelites the Ten commandments and said:

“I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. (Exodus 20:2)

We all know there is more to God's love and it is visible every day of our life:

The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
    keeping watch on the wicked and the good. (Proverbs 15:3)

...

The Lord is far from the wicked,
    but he hears the prayer of the righteous.  (Proverbs 15:29)

The scripture today is a reminder of how fear of the Lord is important as a means to stay on God's path for us.

The path of life leads upward for the prudent
    to keep them from going down to the realm of the dead.
(Proverbs 15:24)

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, Your love is clear to me and I know that it also beyond what I deserve.  I remain a prideful person and my sin does not stop there.  I thank You for all of the ways that You bless me and that You love me anyway but I beg You Lord to please forgive me for my pride.  Help me stay on the path You have laid out for me.  Help me be more like You.