Thursday, August 9, 2012

There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him

Proverbs 6

16 There are six things the Lord hates,
    seven that are detestable to him:
17         haughty eyes,
        a lying tongue,
        hands that shed innocent blood,
18         a heart that devises wicked schemes,
        feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19         a false witness who pours out lies
        and a person who stirs up conflict in the community. 

Haughty is defined in the dictionary as "blatantly and disdainfully proud".  I know I am prideful and I am more so than I care to admit.  I was prideful yesterday and I am likely to be today if I cannot guard and protect my heart.  I am sometimes concerned about what others think of me and so I puff myself up to appear bigger than I am - how sinful!!

My Prayer: Lord, there is NONE more great than You, more magnificent than You.  You are great and magnificent for so many reasons I cannot begin to describe.  You don't need to be haughty.  Yet I confess that I am full of pride and I act out my pride, including yesterday.  I thank You that You love me anyway.  Please forgive me for my pride and strengthen my faith and love of You and Your ways.  Help me delight You and glorify You with my life.