Monday, August 20, 2012

Those who guard their lips preserve their lives

Proverbs 13

I am often either thinking critical thoughts (critical of other people) or saying critical things. 

Those who guard their lips preserve their lives. v3

Both are wrong and sinful and I need to see people as Jesus does.  In another post, I have read about James' thoughts on this subject:

1 My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. 2 Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. 3 If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” 4 have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

My Prayer: Lord, You are an awesome God in that You love me no matter what...I wish I can same the same in terms of my love for other people but it is not true.  I am often critical -  at least in my thinking but often in speech - of others and I know this is a sin.  Thank You that You love me anyway but please forgive me and help me guard both my heart and my lips.