Tuesday, June 3, 2014

"In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples."

Luke 14

"In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples." v33

Jesus wants us to submit all aspects of our lives over to Him...we are trust in Him completely...not in our own powers, not in the powers of others, and not in the power of things, status, etc.

I think of the rich, young ruler who would sell everything he had to follow Jesus: 

As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

“Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone. You know the commandments: ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.’[a]

“Teacher,” he declared, “all these I have kept since I was a boy.”

Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

At this the man’s face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.

Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!” Mark 10:17-23

I know for myself I struggle to give up control of my career over to Jesus.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are indeed a great God worthy of love, worship, trust, and obedience.  You have created all things, You have blessed me beyond what I deserve, and You are all knowing and all powerful.  You suffered greatly, then died...for me!  Then You rose from the grave defeating death and giving me freedom from sin and the gift of eternal life....all for me if I accept You and believe in You, and have trust and faith in You as Messiah.  Yet I know there are aspects of my life that I have not turned over to You Jesus.  Thank You that You love me anyway but please forgive me Jesus!  Help me turn from such sin and help me be the man You intend for me.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.