Monday, June 9, 2014

"It is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the least stroke of a pen to drop out of the Law."

Luke 16

"It is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the least stroke of a pen to drop out of the Law." v17

Thanks to help from my John McArthur commentary, it is more clear to me that the Old Testament is still intact even though we have a new covenant with Jesus Christ:

“The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the good news of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing their way into it." v16

The question for me is the extent to which the Old Testament applies.  For example, in Exodus 20 God gives Moses the Ten Commandments.  The two most important commandments are indicated in Matthew 22 as:

“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’  Matthew 22:37-40

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are indeed a God full of an immeasurable amount of patience.  I am not worthy of such patience - I am certainly not patient with others.  Nor do I serve my earthly masters with humility.  Thank You Jesus that You love me anyway, but please forgive me!  Help me turn from such sin.  Help me be the man You intend for me...help me love You (and others) with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.