Monday, June 22, 2015

So if you consider me a partner, welcome him as you would welcome me.

Philemon 1

So if you consider me a partner, welcome him as you would welcome me. v17

Paul requests that Onesimus be set free as a slave of Philemon (reference here) but Paul puts Philemon in the driver's seat and and he trusts Philemon's judgement.  This is similar about God in that He commands us to follow Him but we have free will.  God wants us to truly love Him and for this to occur we must be willing partners in this relationship.


Also, today's reading gives me new insight into parenting - while we may issue commands to our children, our children have free will and a healthy relationship with our children must be based on love.  As Zach turns 13 years old this September, I am increasingly allowing him to exercise his own judgement on many matters as it is important for him to become more independent and practice making decisions himself (including suffering the consequences of such decisions).

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God full of love, compassion, patience, gentleness, etc. for me...even though I am not deserving.  You also give me free will which shows that You do trust in me and that You desire for me to follow You - willingly.  There are consequences for not following You and I know that You are just.  I am not deserving of such a God as I am disobedient and selfish.  For example, I have lust in my heart and this is sinful.  Please forgive me!  Help me overcome such sin and turn towards You.  Thank You for Your love and mercy as I desperately need it!  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Help me willingly follow You.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength, comfort, and freedom from pain.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach and Dustin.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.