Thursday, October 27, 2016

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding.

Proverbs 4

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. v7

Solomon encourages us to pursue God above all else.  Although he states wisdom, we know that fear of God is the beginning of knowledge.  We must understand that our faith will cost us something.  The number one command (Exodus 20:3-4, Matthew 22:37-40) is to love God and to love Him with all of our heart, soul, and mind.  

When we pursue God above all else, there is a cost.  Solomon refers to this cost as "all you have].  Elsewhere in scripture we see this cost:

Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. Mark 8:34


Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. Matthew:20:26-28

Yet our earthly loss pales in comparison to the riches of Jesus Christ.

What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith.  Philippians 3:8-9

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what a great God You are!  You gave up Your life for me and You ask that I do the same in the sense that I must be prepared to transform my heart and life to become more like in Your thoughts and ways so that I may glorify You in all that I do because that is why exist.  I am thankful that You would allow me to be Your ambassador!  I am not worthy.  I am broken and in need of Your forgiveness.  For my worry, stress, impatience, arrogance, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength. Please heal and cure her of her cancer and the side effects from chemo.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach and Dustin...and serve You.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.