Monday, October 31, 2016

There are six things the Lord hates-no, seven things he detests: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that kill the innocent, a heart that plots evil, feet that race to do wrong, a false witness who pours out lies, a person who sows discord in a family.

Proverbs 6

There are six things the Lord hates-no, seven things he detests: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that kill the innocent, a heart that plots evil, feet that race to do wrong, a false witness who pours out lies, a person who sows discord in a family. v16-19

Bottom line: God hates sin:

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Romans 12:9

Yet at the same time, God loves all His children equally and all are deserving of grace, mercy, salvation in His eyes.

The notes in Jude 23 of the NIV version are helpful here:

Rescue others by snatching them from the flames of judgment. Show mercy to still others,[a] but do so with great caution, hating the sins that contaminate their lives.[b] Jude 23

a. 22-23a Some manuscripts have only two categories of people: (1) those whose faith is wavering and therefore need to be snatched from the flames of judgment, and (2) those who need to be shown mercy.
b. 23b Greek with fear, hating even the clothing stained by the flesh.


The suggestion is that those who sin need to be saved (non believers) or be shown mercy (believers).  Sin should be greeted with judgement, not certainly by humans as judgement is reserved for God alone - see also James 4:11-12 (although God provides guidance in Matthew 18:15-17 for how to deal with sin in the church).

I am in the camp that we are to love - never does it say hate anyone and we need to be careful about how we interpret "hate the sin" because I believe we are to hate sin in relation to protecting OURSELVES from sin.  With respect to others, we are to love others as Jesus loves us (John 13:34-35).

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.  1 Peter 4:8

This last scriptural reference is consistent with Jesus' reference to the greatest commands (Matthew 22:37-40).

My Prayer: Lord God what a great God You are!  You are worthy of my praise and worship.  You are so full of mercy and grace for me even though I am undeserving.  Thank You Jesus.  Please forgive me for my laziness and my sloth.  Help me overcome my desire for comfort and serve You and others.  Help me turn away from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength.  Please heal and cure her of her cancer and the side effects from chemo.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach, and Dustin...and serve You.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.