Tuesday, April 18, 2017

And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us.

1 John 3

And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. v23

From Matthew 22, Jesus gives us the greatest commandments.  Here John repeats Jesus' commands.  What is striking to me this morning is the extent to which we love others is tied to our love of Jesus.


The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us. v24

This sentiment is also expressed in the subsequent chapter:


Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen. And he has given us this command: Anyone who loves God must also love their brother and sister. 1 John 4:20-21
 
We must love God.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what a great God You are...You are love and Your love abounds to heights and breadths that cannot be measured.  You have so much patience, compassion, mercy, etc. for me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such love.  I worry...too much. Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.