Wednesday, March 4, 2020

"Did I not tell the messengers you sent me,‘Even if Balak gave me all the silver and gold in his palace, I could not do anything of my own accord, good or bad, to go beyond the command of the Lord—and I must say only what the Lord says’?

Numbers 22-24

"Did I not tell the messengers you sent me,‘Even if Balak gave me all the silver and gold in his palace, I could not do anything of my own accord, good or bad, to go beyond the command of the Lord—and I must say only what the Lord says’? Numbers 24:12-13

Day 41 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on Israel's movement from the east of the Jordan River as they prepare to enter the promised land.  They encounter the Moabite people and their king - Balak - who fear the Israelites and seek assistance from Balaam (whom my commentary* refers to as "a spiritualist" who is "by no means a good man", and by John MacArthur as a "soothsayer, a diviner of sorts, a prophet").  Balak seeks a curse on the Israelites from Balaam but God speaks to Balaam (including through Balaam's donkey) and according to my commentary* "God has allowed Balaam to go for the sole purpose of teaching Balak how wrong it is to put God’s will to the test in hope of personal gain".  Balaam is certainly intrigued by the possibility of wealth (as offered by Balak in exchange for a curse on the Israelites) but God makes it crystal clear that His will shall be done (faithfulness of His promise to deliver Israel to the Promised Land). 

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 


There are times in our life when, just as God spoke through Balaam's donkey and placed angels in Balaam's path (Numbers 22:21-35), God must do something drastic to make it very clear that our path is sinful.  We should all hope that God does this for all of us.  As I prepare for an interview this Friday for a new job, I am prayerful that God will make it clear regarding whatever path may open up for me - that I have clarity and wisdom to discern whether such new paths may be God's will or not.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has helped throughout my career and all areas of my life - You have blessed me beyond what I deserve and never failed to provide.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.