Saturday, March 28, 2020

Don’t you see that nothing that enters a person from the outside can defile them? For it doesn’t go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body.” (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.)....Do not call anything impure that God has made clean. Mark 7:18-19, Acts 10:15

Portions of Exodus, Leviticus, Deuteronomy

Don’t you see that nothing that enters a person from the outside can defile them? For it doesn’t go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body.” (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.)....Do not call anything impure that God has made clean. Mark 7:18-19, Acts 10:15

Day 61 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on directives from God through Moses (Moses' Laws) for dietary regulations.

God explains the purpose of these laws as follows:

You must therefore make a distinction between clean and unclean animals and between unclean and clean birds. Do not defile yourselves by any animal or bird or anything that moves along the ground—those that I have set apart as unclean for you. You are to be holy to me because I, the Lord, am holy, and I have set you apart from the nations to be my own.  Leviticus 20:25-26

With God sending His Son to fulfill prophecy and the law (see Matthew 5 and John Piper post here), God did away with the rules of clean and unclean food.  This becomes explicit in both Mark and Acts:

Don’t you see that nothing that enters a person from the outside can defile them? For it doesn’t go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body.” (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.) Mark 7:18-19 

Do not call anything impure that God has made clean. Acts 10:15

While written for Thanksgiving, this post at DesiringGod.com also sums it up nicely.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has come to both fulfill the law but also to save me!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of Your death on the cross and Your compassion and grace.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.