Thursday, March 12, 2020

You are not to do as we do here today, everyone doing as they see fit, since you have not yet reached the resting place and the inheritance the Lord your God is giving you.

Exodus-Leviticus-Deuteronomy 12-13, 17-22, 26-28

You are not to do as we do here today, everyone doing as they see fit, since you have not yet reached the resting place and the inheritance the Lord your God is giving you. Deuteronomy 12:8-9

Day 47 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on Moses' laws which my commentary* describes as "some of which he gives here for the first time—or at least they are recorded here for the first time—and some of which he has already given but now further explains or reemphasizes. (As indicated earlier, all the laws previously given have been held in abeyance until this section in order to bring the total together in one collection organized by subject matter.) Although these laws are traditionally known as the Laws of Moses, it is of course God who is their source. However, because there will be other laws of Israel as the nation becomes more fully developed, it is appropriate to distinguish these early commandments by referring to them as Moses’ laws".

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. "

Much of the focus here is God's 2nd and 3rd commandments (see Exodus 20) where:
- "You shall have no other gods before me." Exodus 20:3
- "You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments." Exodus 20:4-6

To that end, God (through Moses) warns us of being seduced by "the world" as we will sow the seeds of destruction.  The more we grow comfortable with the world, the more we sow these seeds.  Instead we are to hunger and thirst for righteousness (Matthew 5:6) and be "doers" of the Word as James exhorts us. 

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has given me Your Word, the Holy Spirit, and so much more so that I can be filled - as I have been!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings because I know I am not righteous as You are.  I sin...daily..with arrogance and other sins.  Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.