Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. It is not up in heaven, so that you have to ask, “Who will ascend into heaven to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?” Nor is it beyond the sea, so that you have to ask, “Who will cross the sea to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?” No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it.

Deuteronomy 26-30

Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. It is not up in heaven, so that you have to ask, “Who will ascend into heaven to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?” Nor is it beyond the sea, so that you have to ask, “Who will cross the sea to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?” No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it. Deuteronomy 30:11-14 

Day 64 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on the renewal of the covenant between God and the Israelites as they transition to the Promised Land.

As I posted yesterday, God promises severe punishment for disobedience but once again God promises forgiveness if the Israelites repent from any disobedience - see Deuteronomy 30:1-10.

As part of the renewal of the covenant, God also tells us in Deuteronomy 30:11-14 that this renewal is not too difficult because the "the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it.

It's not hard for readers of Moses' Laws to believe that these laws are a burden - thankfully Jesus fulfilled the law and freed us from the ceremonial law - see John Piper on this (see also .

Casual observers of Jesus might also believe that following Jesus is also a burden - but we are ALL slaves to sin and Jesus offers us true freedom - in Christ.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has given me true freedom - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a blessing.  I sin...daily.  Please forgiven, me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.