Tuesday, March 3, 2020

But the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “Because you did not trust in me enough to honor me as holy in the sight of the Israelites, you will not bring this community into the land I give them.”

Numbers 20-21,33

But the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “Because you did not trust in me enough to honor me as holy in the sight of the Israelites, you will not bring this community into the land I give them.” Numbers 20:12

Day 40 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on the Israelites as they prepare to enter the promised land.  Aaron and Moses commit a grave sin and are denied entry to the promised land.  God is faithful in defeating several armies as He carries Israel to the promised land, but also faithful in fulfilling His word that the Edomites - descendants of Esau - will be a source of hostility for Israel.

As the Israelites cry out and grumble for lack of water (Numbers 20:2), The Lord gives Moses' instructions:

“Take the staff, and you and your brother Aaron gather the assembly together. Speak to that rock before their eyes and it will pour out its water. You will bring water out of the rock for the community so they and their livestock can drink.” Numbers 20:8

Yet Moses - indicated in my commentary* as "not simply [a] failure to follow God’s specific directions, but manifestations of pride and self-importance which minimize God’s power—a potential danger for all who would be spiritual leaders - does not follow these instructions specifically but instead strikes the rock twice (Numbers 20:11).

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

God's rebuke of Aaron and Moses is both swift and sharp.

But the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “Because you did not trust in me enough to honor me as holy in the sight of the Israelites, you will not bring this community into the land I give them.” Numbers 20:12

Pride, arrogance and self-importance are dangerous sins as they imply a lack of need of God and placing self above God.

Humility is key - all that we possess, including skills and abilities, come from God.  Of course, obedience is also key.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who provides for all that I possess and all of my skills and abilities - without You I am nothing and would have nothing.  Thank You for providing for me...daily.  I am not deserving.  I sin daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.