Sunday, March 1, 2020

Nevertheless, in their presumption they went up toward the highest point in the hill country, though neither Moses nor the ark of the Lord’s covenant moved from the camp. Then the Amalekites and the Canaanites who lived in that hill country came down and attacked them and beat them down all the way to Hormah.

Numbers 12-14

    Nevertheless, in their presumption they went up toward the highest point in the hill country, though neither Moses nor the ark of the Lord’s covenant moved from the camp. Then the Amalekites and the Canaanites who lived in that hill country came down and attacked them and beat them down all the way to Hormah. Numbers 14:44-45

Day 38 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on gossip between leaders, and grumbling and complaining of the Israelites who feel powerless to overtake those who live in the Promised Land.  God burns in anger against those who gossip and against those who grumble and complain. 

Moses marries a Cushite woman and although the exact reason why is not stated, Miriam disapproves and slanders Moses (albeit indirectly) behind his back to Aaron (Numbers 12:1-2).  God is not pleased and He punishes her with a skin disease.  God is also angry with the spies He sends out to examine the Promised Land they are about to enter.  Nearly all of the spies return indicating that although the land is good they feel powerless to overcome those who inhabit the land.  Only Caleb and Joshua believe in God and trust that He will help them overtake those in the land. God punishes the Israelites for their failure to believe in Him - He forces the Israelites to wander in the desert for another 40 years.

If we truly believe in God, we must have confidence in Him to accomplish His will.  When God makes a promise, He is faithful and nothing can stop His plan.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God and You are faithful.  I have seen Your faithfulness in my life time and time again - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and faithfulness.  I sin...every single day.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.