Saturday, February 29, 2020

The cloud of the Lord was over them by day when they set out from the camp.

Numbers 10-11

   The cloud of the Lord was over them by day when they set out from the camp. Numbers 10:34

Day 37 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on the Israelites setting out from camp after the tabernacle was constructed and all tabernacle duties were assigned.  God directs the patch of the Israelites via a cloud that appears over them and the tabernacle.  A recurring them of grumbling reoccurs and Moses pleads with the Lord to help him as his task of leading the Israelites has become emotionally draining.

My focus this morning is on how God directs our steps.

My commentary* indicates the following: "[t]he people have been numbered and their duties have been assigned, so God now gives the Israelites their marching orders. Moses asks a relative named Hobab to be a guide for the Israelites, and Hobab apparently agrees to do so. But the real guide is God himself, manifested in the movement of the cloud of his presence over the ark and tabernacle".

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. "  

John Piper, in response to a question whether God directs all the details or our lives, posits that God is in control of all aspects of our lives, Piper also weighs in on free will - see my posts on these topics.

We have a God that is always with this, directing our steps - and we know He loves us.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me, is always with me, and provides for all of my needs - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and blessings.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.