Friday, February 7, 2020

Esau took his wives and sons and daughters and all the members of his household, as well as his livestock and all his other animals and all the goods he had acquired in Canaan, and moved to a land some distance from his brother Jacob.

Genesis  36 

Esau took his wives and sons and daughters and all the members of his household, as well as his livestock and all his other animals and all the goods he had acquired in Canaan, and moved to a land some distance from his brother Jacob. Genesis 36:6

Day 16 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on the descendants of Esau, the Edomites.

The story of Jacob and Esau is one of tension and my commentary* indicates the Edomites "will become constant enemies of Jacob’s descendants, the Israelites, and their opposition to God’s chosen people will be so bitter over the years that Edom will become a symbol of unbelief and hostility to God. In the last days they will be singled out as a special object of God’s punishment".

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

Examples of tensions between Jacob's line and the Edomites are found in the Bible, including:
  • Edom denies Israel passage during their exodus from Egypt (Numbers 20)
  • Saul orders Doeg the Edomite to strike down Ahimelek and the Priests of Nob for providing harbor and provision for David (1 Samuel 21-22)
  Prophecies against Edom include:
The tension between Jacob and Esau is much like the tension we experience in our lives - there are those in the world that hate us and our God.  We may be tempted to feel hate and to seek our own justice against those who act out of their hate for us.  But God is clear - we are to turn the other cheek, love, and seek to gain the favor of our enemies so that we might be able to bring them into the family of God.  It is not for us to judge - God alone is Judge.  See also post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God who loves me and who loves, despite how I might have felt about You - You came to save me!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of Your love, mercy and grace.  I harbor ill feelings towards others - please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin - help me love!  Help me turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.