Saturday, February 15, 2020

Moses and Aaron performed all these wonders before Pharaoh, but the Lord hardened Pharaoh’s heart, and he would not let the Israelites go out of his country.

Exodus 9-11

Moses and Aaron performed all these wonders before Pharaoh, but the Lord hardened Pharaoh’s heart, and he would not let the Israelites go out of his country. Exodus 11:10

Day 24 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on the stalemate negotiations between Moses/Aaron and Pharaoh - whose heart is hardened and will not let the Israelites go into the wilderness to worship God.

Signs and wonders are mentioned 32 times in the Bible - Pharaoh saw the signs and wonders of God yet this was insufficient for Him and it is for others.   In this light we must recall that it was God Himself that hardened Pharaoh's heart - see Exodus 4:21.  Key to this discussion is free will vs God's will.  As a component of this discussion, we must understand that it is God alone working in us to give us faith - see also this John Piper post.

Piper uses the following scripture as the basis for his post:
- left to our own devices we as humans (all of us) would choose darkness over Light; Romans 8:6-7
- the mind without the Spirit cannot accept God; 1 Corinthians 2:14
- God alone grants repentance; 2 Timothy 24-25
- Faith is a gift from God alone; Philippians 1:29, Romans 9:16, 1 Corinthians 15:10, Philippians 2:12

There is also Ephesians 2:8-9:

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.

Finally, although not by any means am I attempting to exhaust all key factors in this discussion, it is important to consider what is happening in our hearts and minds as believers should be able to point to the "signs and wonders" that result from our heart and mind transformation - this is our testimony.  I know I can - I am grateful for the gift of faith and for what God has done in my heart and mind.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus You are an awesome God who loves me and who has worked many signs and wonders in my heart and mind - I am grateful that You have made more into Your image and You continue to do so - I am for sure a work in progress!  Yet I am undeserving of Your love and grace.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.