Saturday, February 8, 2020

And he was named Perez. Then his brother, who had the scarlet thread on his wrist, came out. And he was named Zerah.

Genesis  37-38

And he was named Perez. Then his brother, who had the scarlet thread on his wrist, came out. And he was named Zerah. Genesis 38:29-30

Day 17 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on the early years of Joseph (and his brother's sale of him to the Midian merchants/Ishmaelites who ultimately sell him to Potiphar in Egypt) and the story of Judah and Tamar.

The story of Joseph is just beginning at this point, and I will come back to it for sure in the coming days.  As well, the story of Judah and Tamar (Genesis 38) is just unfolding because we know that Jesus is a descendant of Perez, whose parents are Judah and Tamar (see genealogy in Matthew 1).  It is for this reason I pause on their story - because time and time again we see God redeem sin and use broken and sinful people as part of His story to save us.

My commentary* indicates: "The most important aspect of this seemingly insignificant story will come to light only after many centuries have passed. At that time it will become evident that a descendant of Judah (through Perez) will become God’s messenger to all mankind—the Messiah".

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

Additional insights and thoughts on this from DesiringGod.com include Prostitutes, Mistresses, and the Messiah, and The Best of the Boring Parts of the Bible.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has adopted me into Your family despite my sin and brokenness - thank You Jesus!  I am in awe of Your love for me.  I am undeserving.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.